Most of you who follow me most likely follow for running tips. Afterall, I am That Running Girl. But as someone who’s been running for nearly 17 years now, I know when my body needs a break from running. But just because I’m taking time off my race training does not mean I’ve stopped working out or running… In fact quite the opposite. If anything, I feel like I’ve been working out harder and smarter the past month or so.
Here are a few things I’ve been focusing on in my workouts:
- Personal training: I decided to find a personal trainer who could recommend some exercises that would work well with my body. The woman I’ve been working with is wonderful and has had me doing plenty of cardio and resistance training.
- BBG: I’m sure many of you are familiar with the BBG workouts from Kayla Itsines. These have been great to do a few days a week since they’re not exercises I do normally. I feel like I’m pushing my body to work different muscles each time.
- Warm core yoga: One new workout I’ve been loving is warm yoga. I can’t handle hot yoga, but warm core yoga is a great way to sweat while tweaking those tiny muscles I never work.
- Sprints: I couldn’t give up running totally. Instead of distance running, I’ve been doing some intense sprint workouts on my treadmill. Not only are the workouts shorter, but I am burning more calories after my workout than during distance running.
- Spin: Lastly, I’ve been doing a lot of spin classes. Between Flywheel and utilizing the spin room at my gym, I’ve been spending a lot of time on the bike lately and loving it.